Thursday, May 29, 2014

Liberty University and Glenn Beck


I wasn't going to blog about this.  I don't want this page to become a "watchdog" blog.  However, the more I ponder this situation, the more I am convinced that responding thoroughly and in public is the best thing for me to do.

It should be noted that I do not approach this situation as an outsider.  I spent three years living on the campus of Liberty University as a student in the School of Religion.  I completed my B.A. in Pastoral Leadership and Biblical Exposition in December 2009.  I was a freshman at Liberty for the final year that Jerry Falwell Sr. was alive.  I served as a Prayer Leader, Spiritual Life Director, and Resident Assistant on several different dorms on campus.  I am no expert on Liberty, and have been largely disconnected since graduating, but I am not ignorant of the way Liberty works either.

Liberty University holds convocation three times a week.  All resident students are required to attend.  This is basically a chapel service, though they do not use that terminology.  They typically host Christian pastors and leaders.  Some are certainly better and more respected than others.  However, on occasion they have other leaders outside Christianity.  These are typically political speakers, though some are businessmen and women and other secular leaders.

While Liberty has a long history of having secular leaders from various fields speak for convocation and graduation, I do not recall ever hearing one of these leaders present what could only be called a "sermon" when addressing the students.

In the interest of full disclosure, I do have a problem with the criteria used to select convocation and graduation speakers.  However, I recognize it as an area where there may be room for disagreement.  The recent message presented by Glenn Beck is very different though.  He did not give a political speech.  He presented a Mormon sermon.

Let's be clear.  Mormonism is not a denomination under the umbrella of Christianity.  Mormon theology teaches that God used to be a man on another planet and even now has a physical body.  Mormons also teach that we can become gods.  The Mormon Church teaches that Jesus and Satan are brothers, and that Jesus is the product of God the Father's sexual relationship with Mary.  I trust this is enough information to convince you of my point that Mormonism is not within the boundaries of orthodox Christianity.

With this bit of background, I want to share with you the text of the email I sent to Jerry Falwell Jr. and Johnnie Moore.  Jerry Falwell Jr. is the President and Chancellor of Liberty University.  Johnnie Moore is the Senior Vice President for Communications with convocation falling under his direction.

Dr. Falwell and Rev. Moore,

My name is Adam Blosser.  I am a graduate (B.A. in Pastoral Leadership and Biblical Exposition, Class of 2010) of Liberty University and the Pastor of Drakes Branch Baptist Church in Drakes Branch, VA.

I am writing to express my concern over Glenn Beck’s recent sermon at Liberty University’s convocation.  I regret that I have to do this over email.  I wish that I could sit down with the two of you over a cup of coffee.  I hope you will find the tone of my email to be one of gentleness and respect.

Glenn Beck was the commencement speaker the year I graduated.  Mitt Romney was the commencement speaker the year my wife graduated.  In the interest of full disclosure, I opposed the decision to have those men speak at commencement.  However, I also recognize that Liberty has a long tradition of bringing in non-Christians to speak at graduation.  It is typically a time for challenging the graduates as they move on in life.  I also recognize that many non-Christians have been given the opportunity to address the students in convocation.  This happened on many occasions while I was a student at Liberty.  I have not written to you on those occasions because, while I disagreed with those decisions, I did not consider those situations to be the same as what recently happened when Glenn Beck spoke in convocation.

I am writing now because Glenn Beck was given a platform to teach Mormon theology to the students of Liberty University without, to my knowledge, any public rebuttal or refutation of the things he said.  He was given a table with a Liberty University table cloth on which to place the religious items that he brought with him.  In his sermon he clearly equated Mormonism with Christianity.  I watched the entire message this morning via video.  He spoke of Joseph Smith as a Christian martyr.  He spoke of the “Grand Councils” which is a Mormon heresy.  He said that we should “Live in such a way that you can demand miracles. Expect miracles. Call down miracles.”  This too is contrary to the teachings of Scripture.  We do not demand anything of God.  He spoke of the atonement, but as you know, Mormons have a very different view of the atonement than Christians.

I recognize the potential benefit of exposing students to Mormon teaching.  That is not why I am writing.  Had Beck stuck to conservative politics, I would not be writing this letter.  Unfortunately, he delivered a message that he claimed was given to him by God to share with the students of Liberty.  When he finished, a prayer was said and the students were dismissed without any refutation of the heresy that had just been spoken from the stage in convocation.

The responsibility of protecting sound doctrine belongs primarily to the church.  However, that responsibility also belongs to all believers and even to the largest evangelical university.  I was filled with disappointment as I listened to the words Beck spoke and watched as students clapped.  A wolf in sheep clothing was allowed to speak to the students of Liberty University unfiltered.

The Benny Hinn fiasco a few weeks ago was a mess.  Liberty responded promptly.  Not all of my questions were answered then, but I was glad to see Liberty respond quickly.  This situation demands a similar response.  Dr. Falwell, you have been quoted in a CNN interview as saying that Liberty has no official position on Mormonism.  It is time for you to take a position.  Mormons desire to have their faith equated with Christianity.  The enemy would love nothing more.  It is essential that you, in your position of influence, take a stand for truth on this issue.

I really need to hear from both of you what you believe about Mormonism.  Is it a denomination within the bounds of Christian orthodoxy, or is it the heretical fringe group that the Christian church has recognized it as since its founding?  If the latter, was anything said to the students about the heresy Beck taught?  If not, why not?  Also, what was the agreement for this convocation message?  Was Beck given complete freedom?  Was he supposed to stick to conservative politics, but instead embarrassed you in front of your students?  I am not demanding an answer.  I do not have that right.  I am asking these questions for my own peace of mind, and maybe even to challenge you as brothers in Christ as you think through this issue.

Thank you both for the time it took you to read this and respond.

God bless, 
Adam Blosser

I hope that sharing this letter demonstrates several things: 1) why I am concerned about this situation, 2) my love first for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and second for Liberty University, and 3) a way to express concern and sharp disagreement in a way that is honoring to Christ.

I will be writing more on this issue.  I did receive a response to my letter, and will be sharing that in a future post.  I have not compared it word for word with the response received and posted online by Jonathan Merritt, but it is at least very similar.  Glenn Beck has also discussed on his radio program the criticism Liberty has received over his sermon.  I will address that as well.

Thanks for reading, and God bless.

2 comments:

  1. Wow....thank you for taking a stand and thank you for bringing this to light. I appreciate the challenge sent to Falwell and Moore to stand on the side of Christianity and define Mormonism outside the realm of Christianity. I will be the first to admit that I often "play nice" by not speaking out or speaking up for Christians and our beliefs...and I know this is wrong...it is what the devil anticipates and unfortunately too many of us "play nice"... Imagine what a force the Christian army could be and what we could do if we would all stand up and speak out and stop being so complacent... Thank you for leading the charge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spot on and heartfelt, Adam!!!

    ReplyDelete