Monday, December 23, 2013

Let No One Despise Your Youth

1 Timothy 4:12 is right up there with Jeremiah 29:11 and Philippians 4:13 among the most misused verses in Scripture.  All three are often found on coffee mugs, bumper stickers, and Christian t-shirts.

You can find the words of 1 Timothy 4:12 plastered on church youth rooms everywhere.

1 Timothy 4:12
Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

The interesting thing is that when I hear the verse recited, it is often apart from the second part of the verse.  Everyone loves the first part.  It is so encouraging.  "Let no one despise you for your youth!"  What a great motto!

The attitude of many when reciting this verse is, "Don't look down on me because I am young."  Often it is not the person's age that is causing them to be looked down on but their actions.

Unfortunately, many forget the second part of the verse.  No one wants to be looked down on.  No one wants to be ignored or thought less of because of their age.  But very few want to live their lives as examples for others.

Paul was not writing a youth group curriculum when he penned these words, though the verse is not without application for teenagers.  He was addressing his son in the faith, Timothy.  Timothy was a young leader in the church at Ephesus.  He was likely in his thirties when Paul wrote this letter.

Paul wanted to encourage Timothy not to allow his age to be a hindrance to his ministry in Ephesus.  God had called Timothy to lead His people there.  If God did not consider Timothy's age to be a problem, Timothy shouldn't consider it to be a problem either.

But how was Timothy to assert his leadership?  What would it look for him not to allow anyone to despise his youth?  Does this mean Timothy was to stand up and say, "I am the leader here and you will do what I say"?  I don't think so.

Paul tells Timothy to be an example to the believers in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity.  The church at Ephesus had a responsibility to submit to the leadership of their young pastor.  However, Timothy also had a responsibility to earn the respect of those older than him by being an example to the believers.  He was to lead by example.

The words of Paul in this verse are extremely relevant for me.  God has seen fit to call me to pastor his people at Drakes Branch Baptist Church at a very young age.  I read the words of Paul in the first part of 1 Timothy 4:12, "Let no one despise your youth," and I know they are for me.  But how do I do that?  How do I lead people who are older than I am?  I am to do this in the same way Paul instructed Timothy in the second part of the verse, by being an example in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity.


That isn't easy.  It is much easier to say, "I am the leader, now follow me," than it is to give people a reason to follow.  May we all recognize that we are leaders of someone.  May we all lead by example in speech, conduct, love, faith, and purity.

No comments:

Post a Comment