Tuesday, December 30, 2014

My 2015 Reading List


For 2015 I have decided to make a list of twelve books (one each month) that I am committing to reading this year.  These are books that I already had on my shelf, but have never read.  I started making my list yesterday and pulled down around twenty-five books that I would be interested in reading this year.  I easily narrowed it down to fourteen or fifteen, and then with a bit of difficulty whittled the list down to twelve.

When I put out on Facebook that I was making such a list, a couple people asked to see the list.  Please do not take this list as an endorsement of the content of these books.  I have not read them.  Most of them I am comfortable recommending based on recommendations I have received from others, but a few of them are a bit more unknown to me.

So here it is, in no particular order, and with a few explanatory comments.  Enjoy.

The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul

I should have read this book long ago.  I am a little ashamed that it is on this list of books I have not yet read.  I am excited to dig into it this year and set my gaze on the holiness of God.

Preaching and Preachers by Martin Lloyd-Jones

I wanted to make sure that I had a book on preaching on my list.  I had a few smaller books on preaching in my top fourteen or fifteen.  I decided to ditch those and go with this one.  Lloyd-Jones is one of the greatest preachers of recent history.  I am looking forward to learning from him.

Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald Whitney

This book is sort of all-encompassing. Because it is difficult to have a book on each spiritual discipline in a list of only twelve books, I chose this one book which covers them all.  I have heard a lot of good things about this book and am anxious to read it.

Evangelism by J. Mack Stiles

I need to be a better witness for Christ.  I knew I needed to include a book on evangelism.  This one comes highly recommended, and I look forward to reading it.  Also on the plus side, it is a short book which provides balance for some of the more lengthy works on this list.  At 114 pages, this is the shortest book on my list.

The Plight of Man and the Power of God by Martin Lloyd-Jones

Lloyd-Jones is the only author who has two books on this list.  I wanted to include his biography by Ian Murray, but the size of it made doing so a bit unrealistic.  There is a documentary coming out this year on Lloyd-Jones that I am excited to see.  Reading some of his writings this year will serve as an excellent complement to that film.

The Gospel at Work by Sebastian Traeger and Greg Gilbert

I believe this book will help me be a better preacher and pastor.  The subtitle is "How Working for King Jesus Gives Purpose and Meaning to our Jobs."  It addresses real life issues with which all people wrestle.  I look forward to thinking about work in a gospel-centered way.

The Conviction to Lead by Albert Mohler

I wanted to make sure I had a book on leadership on my list.  This happened to be one that I had not yet read.  Al Mohler is a leader in the Southern Baptist Convention and in the broader evangelical world.  I look forward to learning from him in this book.

The Masculine Mandate: God's Calling to Men by Richard D. Phillips

I thought it would be good to include a book on manhood, because, well, I am a man.  I know very little about this book.  It was given to me at a conference.

Sojourners and Strangers: The Doctrine of the Church by Gregg R. Allison

I enjoy ecclesiology.  This is a book that I have heard good things about that I was recently able to purchase at a conference I attended.  I do not want it sitting on my shelf very long before I get a chance to read it.  At 471 pages, it is the longest book on this list.  I will have to be very diligent to make it through this thing.

Gospel Assurances and Warnings by Paul Washer

Too many Christians who should be sure of their salvation aren't.  And too many unbelievers are sure their ticket to heaven has been punched.  I want to be able to provide assurance to precious believers who struggle, while also warning the self-assured unregenerate.  This book will help me think biblically about both sides of that coin.

What He Must Be by Voddie Baucham Jr.

We are expecting a little girl in May.  This daddy couldn't be more excited.  I want to be what I must be so she will know what he must be.  This book will help me think about the father/daughter relationship further before my precious little girl makes her grand entrance.

The Insanity of God by Nik Ripken

The order in which I will be reading the books on this list is yet to be determined, but I will be reading this book first.  I have heard several glowing recommendations in the last couple of months.  I look forward to having my worldview challenged as I consider my persecuted brothers and sisters and the work God is doing around the world.

I will plan to write a review of each of these books on this blog as I read them.  Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment