Monday, June 30, 2014

The Way of the Cross

Yesterday I preached 1 Corinthians 4:9-21.  In verses 9-13, the Apostle Paul addresses the lavish lifestyles of the Corinthian believers.  He tells them that they are living in accord with the world around them rather than the way of the cross.  In making this point, he contrasts the way the Corinthians are living with the way that he and the other apostles conduct their lives.

The Corinthians were living like royalty.  They viewed themselves as wise, strong, and honorable.  Paul says that he and the other apostles, however, were foolish, weak, and dishonored for the sake of Christ.  Their suffering had become a spectacle to the world.  But in the face of this maltreatment, the apostles responded with blessing, endurance, and Christlikeness.  Paul holds us up his own life, along with the lives of the other apostles, as an example to the Corinthians of what it looks like to live the Christian life.

The apostles did not make up this way of living.  In fact, they got it from the mouth and example of Jesus Himself.

Matthew 5:38-40
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40 And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well."

Luke 9:58
And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”

Luke 23:33-34a
And when they came to the place that is called The Skull, there they crucified him, and the criminals, one on his right and one on his left. 34 And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

The Corinthians thought that they could simply add Jesus to their already abundant lives.  Sadly, this is so often true of American believers as well.  Even sadder is the fact that it is so often true of me.  I often treat Jesus as if He exists for the purpose of making me healthy, wealthy, and wise.  I come to God with my plans for my life already laid out, and ask Him to bless them.

Paul says in 1 Corinthians 4, "Hold on just a minute."  The call to follow Christ is a call to come and die.  The call to follow Christ is one of denying self.  Paul didn't make this up.  He got it from Jesus.

Matthew 16:24-26
Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

I have so far to go.  I can't help but think that my life looks a lot more like that of the Corinthians than Paul and the other apostles.  Sanctification is a process.  I must decide today what I will do to deny myself and take up my cross and follow Jesus.  The way of the cross is hard, but the way of the cross leads home.

No comments:

Post a Comment